Kent Traffic School is designed to provide instruction for individuals who have a clean driving and criminal record but have received a moving violation citation in the City of Kent issued by a Kent Police Officer. The class looks at local problems created by poor driving decisions. The class will remind attendees what to do when they are involved in a motor vehicle crash. Traffic laws will also be reviewed.
Once you have completed Kent Traffic School, your court hearing appointment will be cancelled, provided you only have 1 violation on your citation. If you have more than 1 violation, you will need to take care of the additional violations by paying the fine or going to your hearing appointment.
In order to complete the Kent Traffic School application form below, you need to have the following items:
- A valid WA driver’s license (out of state residents may use the DL of the state they reside in).
- A court hearing appointment [this is NOT the date on the front of your citation. It is a document with a date, time, Judge’s name and court room # that is sent to you by the court, once they have received your citation from you. If you do not have a court hearing appointment, please read “Frequently Asked Questions” for more information].
On receiving your application, we will run a driving history and criminal history. You can be denied for the following reasons:
• Currently on deferral
• This ticket violates probation
• Currently have an ignition interlock
• No insurance at time of citation
• Current violation is for speeding 25 MPH or more over posted limit
• Major traffic infractions or criminal traffic citations
• Extensive driving or criminal record
• Violation of Intermediate or Driver License Restrictions
• Traffic violation for CDL holder
• You have attended Kent Traffic School in the last 24 months
• Failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.
• Littering from a motor vehicle.
• Negligent driving 2nd degree.
• No valid operator license with ID.
DO NOT delay in applying for Traffic School. You must attend at least 2 weeks prior to your court date and classes fill up quickly. Apply as soon as you have received your court hearing date.
If you have questions about this program, please do not call the Police Department. Please read though the “Frequently Asked Questions” link at the bottom of the page. If English is not your first language and you feel you may need some interpretation, you may bring your own interpreter (must be over 15 years old). Please notify Traffic School personnel if you are bringing an interpreter.
If you have been court ordered to attend a defensive driving school, this class DOES NOT qualify.
Unfortunately, you cannot do Kent Traffic School for citations issued by Washington State Patrol in the City of Kent. You cannot do Kent Traffic School for red light camera citations or for Maple Valley citations.
Any questions, email:
KentTrafficSchool@kentwa.gov or call the Kent Traffic School information line 253.856.5860
In Class and Online Class Overview
(Due to Covid 19 restrictions, our in person classes are not available at present. The online class is still available.)
You may take Traffic School in one of two ways - in class or online.
The in person class Kent Traffic School is a 3 1/2 hour traffic safety education program for drivers who have been cited for a minor traffic infraction. It includes current driving laws, safe driving techniques, and Kent-specific traffic data to make the driver more aware and knowledgeable about local driving conditions. After successful completion of the class, the City Prosecutor will file a motion to dismiss your violation; there will be no further fine or legal action and you will not have to appear at your court hearing.
The online version of Kent Traffic School is a minimum 4 hour traffic safety education program for drivers who have been cited for a minor traffic infraction and cannot make it to the in class program. The online class cannot be taken using a smart phone or a tablet. The online class is divided into timed sections, that can be completed all at once, or over a period of a few days but needs to be completed a minimum of 2 weeks before the court hearing date. There are several modules within the online class with questions to test your knowledge at the end of each module. After successful completion, the City Prosecutor will file a motion to dismiss your violation; there will be no further fine or legal action and you will not have to appear at your court hearing.
Apply for Kent Traffic School Here
Traffic School Application (external link)