Concealed Pistol License
Concealed Pistol License applications must be submitted to a law enforcement agency in the city or county where you reside. If you reside within the city limits of Kent, you may submit your applications to the Kent Police Department. During the COVID-19 closures, we are accepting applications for Renewal, Late Renewal, and Replacement licenses via email to our records department following the below guidelines:
When you apply, the following are required:
- You must currently have a concealed pistol license that is still active or has not been expired more than 90 days. If your license has expired beyond that time period, you are ineligible to apply for a renewal or replacement.
- You must be 21 years of age, or older.
- You must have a current Driver’s License or State ID issued by Washington State or any other state. Passports or Military ID’s are not accepted in lieu of a state issued ID.
- If you have a Driver’s License or State ID issued by a state other than Washington, you may have up to a 60 day wait for the background check.
- You must be a citizen of the United States, or a permanent resident alien.
- You must live within the city limits of Kent (or outside of WA state in the case of non-resident applicants) and provide proof of residency in the form of government-issued identification (a current Driver’s License or State ID).
- The waiting period to receive the Concealed Pistol License is 30 to 60 days, and then the license will be mailed to you.
If you have recently moved and have not been able to update your physical driver’s license due to the COVID-19 business closures, you can update your residential address information with DOL for free on their website: www.dol.wa.gov. Please follow the steps below to update your address:
- In the orange box for Drivers, click on “Update your driver license/ID card”
- On the next page, click on “Change your address”
- Follow the link to log in and change your address.
- This change can be seen by law enforcement. Just let us know you have updated your address online.
Filling out the Concealed Pistol License application:
Please note: Incomplete applications will NOT be processed.
Click here to download a copy of the CPL application to complete.
- Check the box for Renewal of License if your current Concealed Pistol License is still active (has not expired) but will expire within the next 90 calendar days.
- Check the box for Late Renewal of License if your Concealed Pistol License has expired within the last 90 calendar days.
- Check the box for Replacement if your current Concealed Pistol License is still active (has not expired) and will expire more than 90 calendar days from the date of application.
- Fill out every box, even if the answer is N/A (not applicable).
- Provide your full legal name, including full middle name. If you have ever had a legal name change or gone by another name, including maiden name, provide your full other name.
- Provide your phone number so that our staff may reach you with any questions.
- Select both an ethnicity and race in the appropriate boxes.
- For scars/marks/tattoos - type of mark (scar, mole, tattoo, etc.) and location are sufficient. You do not need to describe any tattoos.
- Driver's License/Identification Number. This is found on your Driver's License or State ID. Washington has changed the format recently. Please check your physical license to confirm.
- In the first section of questions, if you answer YES to the first two questions, you can skip the next two questions.
- In the second section of questions, you must answer all of the questions.
Signature on top of Page 2:
- On the first line, please write the date and place. The date needs to be the same date that you submit the application. For the place, you can write the city and State (example: Kent, WA).
- On the second line, please sign your full name.
Signature on bottom of Page 3:
- Please sign your full name, and then write the date. The date needs to be the same date that you submit the application.
Optional additional information:
- Email address: This information is provided to the Department of Licensing so that they at send you an email reminder to renew the next time your license is close to expiring.
- Social Security Number: This information will help our Records Specialists to perform the background check more quickly, and to help with differentiating your record from those of persons with similar names and dates of birth to you.
Submitting your application:
Once you have completed all of the above sections, attach the completed application, a copy of your Driver’s License or State ID (and Permanent Resident Card, if applicable), and a copy of your current Concealed Pistol License to an email and send it to the Records Department at: CPLApplications@KentWA.gov.
After your application has been submitted you will be contacted by a Police Records Specialist who will confirm you application information and explain the payment process. Payment must be made within 7 days to the customer service department. Any pending applications that have not been paid after 7 days will NOT be processed.