Shopping Bag Requirements
In August 2019, the Kent City Council passed an ordinance that regulates which checkout bags stores can give to customers.
As of March 1, 2020, Kent retailers will:
- No longer provide thin plastic bags at checkout
- Charge customers $0.08 for each thick plastic or paper bag they request at checkout
- Not charge customers with WIC, TANF, SNAP, or FAP benefits for thick plastic or paper bags requested at checkout
Retailers will keep all fees collected at checkout but continue to provide other bags for free. These no-cost bags include plastic bags for produce, bulk products and dry cleaning, as well as paper bags for baked goods, prescriptions and hardware.
Shopping Bag Requirements for Shoppers
Free Reusable Bag Giveaway
Visit a City of Kent outreach table at one of the following locations to receive a free reusable bag (while supplies last).
- Holiday Bazaar at the Kent Commons (525 4th Ave N) - Friday, December 6, 2019 - Completed
- Fred Meyer (10201 SE 240th St) - Monday, January 27 - 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Safeway (210 Washington Ave S) - Thursday, January 30 - 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Safeway (13101 SE Kent-Kangley Rd) - Wednesday, February 5 - 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Safeway (20830 108th Ave SE) - Friday, February 7 - 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Winco (21100 91st Pl S) - Monday, February 10 - 10:00 a.m. to noon
- McLendon Hardware (23662 104th Ave SE) - Tuesday, February 18 - 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Big Lots (1301 W Meeker St) - Friday, February 21 - 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Fred Meyer (25250 Pacific Hwy S)*
- QFC (13304 SE 240th St)*
* = Date and time to be determined
Kent residents can also get free reusable bags, while supplies last, from the customer service desk at the Centennial Center (400 West Gowe Street), next to City Hall.
Tips for Remembering Reusable Bags:
- Make "Bring Bags" the first item on all your grocery lists.
- Keep reusable bags in your backpack, gym bag or purse.
- Hang reusable bags on the back of your main entry door.
- Set a regular "Bring Bags" reminder on your phone for the days and times you usually buy groceries.
In the Car
- Store reusable bags in the front seat where you can see them easily.
- Post a "Bring Shopping Bags" sticky note on your dashboard
Shopping Bag Requirements for Retailers
Educational Materials - Coming soon!
- Poster (11" x 17") - English / Spanish / Vietnamese / Russian
- Poster (8.5" x 11") - English / Spanish / Vietnamese / Russian
- Point-of-sale postcard (4" x 6") - English / Spanish / Vietnamese / Russian
- Till topper (3" x 4") - English / Spanish / Vietnamese / Russian
- Sticker (4") - English / Spanish / Vietnamese / Russian
Bag Content Requirements
The ordinance requires checkout bags to be sturdy and made with recycled content.
Paper Checkout Bags
- Paper checkout bags must have material weight greater than 8 pounds,
- Contain an average of 40% post-consumer recycled material, and
- Display the minimum percentage of recycled content.
Plastic Checkout Bags
- Plastic checkout bags must have a minimum thickness of 2.25 mils,
- Contain at least 40% post-consumer recycled material, and
- Display wording that the bag is reusable.