The Parks Planning & Development Division helps create and implement the vision for Kent's parks, trails and open spaces. We acquire new land to preserve for public use and re-invest in Kent's existing park and trail system. We design and manage large park and trail construction projects, play equipment installations and replacements, park landscape design and major improvements.
Projects In Design Phase
- Downtown Kent - We are working on unique design features and amenities based upon Kent's own history, which will enhance several points of interest in the city.
- Service Club Ballfields Drainage Improvements - We are planning to install a modernized field drainage system on 3 of the 4 fields at the park. One field was completed in 2017 and playing conditions are improved.
- Morrill Meadows-East Hill Park Renovation - The city is planning the renovation of these two parks into one, replacing worn out amenities while we also create space for a planned YMCA. Design firm MacLeod Reckord is the city's park design consultant.
- Van Doren's Landing Park Relocation - Projects underway to make the Green River levees in Kent safer have necessitated the relocation of this popular park to a site very nearby.
Projects In Construction Phase
- Lake Meridian Park Bathhouse Repair - Construction to repair the June 2018 arson fire damage begins in late January, with completion expected in late June 2019.
- Downtown Kent - Interpretive signs are being installed in multiple locations downtown, describing important people, places and events in our fascinating history.
- Kent Memorial Park Play Area Renovation and Wiffle® Ball Field Installation - Officially sanctioned Wiffle® and Seattle Mariners designs highlight the new Wiffle® ball field built by Harkness Construction in 2018, and we have installed brand new play equipment for kids of all ages to enjoy. Relax nearby on authentic seats from the official Mariners Stadium.
- Lake Fenwick Park Floating Walkway Replacement - We were excited to re-open the floating walkway and fishing dock in 2018, replacing an old wood structure with new concrete floats and reconnecting a trail section closed nearly 5 years ago.
- Green View Park Renovation - As of summer 2018, the park has new play equipment, benches and fitness stations.
- Park and Open Space Plan - In June 2016, the Kent City Council adopted the 2016 Park and Open Space Plan. The plan takes a new approach to defining Level of Service (LOS) and shifts focus away from expansion of the park system toward taking