The Parks Planning & Development Division helps create and implement the vision for Kent's parks, trails and open spaces. We acquire new land to preserve for public use, and re-invest in Kent's existing park and trail system. We manage park and trail construction projects, replacement of play equipment and other improvement efforts.
- Green Kent Partnership - This is our 20-year environmental stewardship program, which relies on dedicated volunteers to help actively manage our open spaces.
- Scout Projects - Opportunities for scouts to work toward attaining Eagle Scout or other high merit scouting achievements.
- Downtown Design - We are working on unique design features and amenities based upon Kent's own history, which will enhance several points of interest in the city.
- Mill Creek Canyon Earthworks Park Master Plan - Design firm Mithun has been selected to assist city staff with the important efforts of creating a comprehensive overall design plan for the entire park and canyon.
- Morrill Meadows-East Hill Park Renovation - The city is planning the renovation of these two parks into one, replacing worn out amenities while we also create space for a planned YMCA. Design firm MacLeod Reckord is the city's park design consultant.
- Springwood Park Renovation - A rejuvenation of this park will begin with the development of a new master plan, which is being done with the help of design firm Berger Partnership.
- Van Doren's Landing Park Relocation - Projects underway to make the Green River levees in Kent safer have necessitated the relocation of this popular park to a site very nearby.
- West Fenwick Park Renovation - We are making several fun changes at this always-busy West Hill park, and the development of an overall master plan with the assistance of Berger Partnership is underway.
- Kent Memorial Park Play Area Renovation and Wiffle® Ball Field Installation - In addition to an updated play area and new play equipment, kids will be soon able to play ball at KMP too, instead of just watch the grown-ups. Officially sanctioned Wiffle® Ball and Seattle Mariners® designs will highlight this cool new feature, to be built by Harkness Construction.
- Lake Fenwick Park Floating Walkway Replacement - We hired Georgia-based Massana Construction to replace the old floating walkway, which is a beloved feature of this forested favorite park.
- Lake Meridian Park Restroom Building Renovation - Optimus Construction and Development is making the restroom building at Lake Meridian Park newer, cleaner and brighter just in time for summer.
- Green View Park Renovation - As of summer 2018, the park has new play equipment, benches, and fitness stations.
- Hogan Park Field #1 Synthetic Turf Installation - Premier Field Development replaced the natural grass turf with durable synthetic turf, which will allow year-round play of baseball/softball, and now soccer, lacrosse, rugby and football.
- Lake Meridian Park Floating Dock - The worn out old fishing dock has been removed and replaced with a new one by Neptune Marine, which will provide many more years of fishing fun and scenic strolling.
- Park and Open Space Plan - In June 2016, the Kent City Council adopted the 2016 Park and Open Space Plan. The plan takes a new approach to defining Level of Service (LOS) and shifts focus away from expansion of the park system toward taking care of the city's existing park inventory.
- Let's Go Kent Plan: Improving Kent's Walking and Biking Network - The Let's Go Kent Plan was funded by Seattle and King County Public Health through a federal grant from the Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) Communities Putting Prevention to Work (CPPW) program. The grant program provides funding for projects to help address obesity rates by increasing access to healthy food and opportunities for healthy living through exercise.