Please adhere to the following RULES FOR GARDENERS in order to be eligible for early registration next year. Thank you.
- Always lock the gate behind you when entering or leaving the garden, no matter how quick your trip. Report an inoperative lock to the Garden Coordinator at 253-856-5111.
- Registered gardeners can get the lock code by calling 253-856-5111 or 253-856-5000.
- Keep the gate locked. If you find it unlocked with no one coming or going, lock it.
- Never open the gate for, or give the lock code to, non-gardeners.
- Gardening at night is prohibited.
- Always use tools properly and for their intended purpose.
- Report broken tools to the Garden Coordinator at 253-856-5111.
- Power tools are prohibited. No exceptions.
- Always supervise children closely. Do not allow them to run, climb on anything, or throw anything.
- All pets are prohibited. Do not bring any pets or animals into the garden.
- NEVER leave children or animals unattended in a vehicle while gardening.
- Keep the paths and common areas free of weeds, trash, tools, and debris.
- Report theft, vandalism, or trespassing to the Garden Coordinator at 253-856-5111.
- Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.
- Keep your contact information up to date. Call 253-856-5111 or visit KentWA.gov/Garden to update if it changes.
- Attend the annual Community Garden Orientation.
- Support and take part in the volunteer Community Garden Leadership Group. Details at Orientation or call 253-856-5111.
- Create and maintain paths with city-provided wood chips. All plots must be accessible by path.
- Keep all plots separated by paths. Do not adjoin plots or remove any paths.
- City-provided wood chips are ONLY for paths. Do not use them for any other purpose.
- Gardeners must provide everything needed for their plot: chips, mulch, stakes, poles, seeds, plants, fencing, netting, weed and pest control, etc.
- Prepare and begin working your plot(s) no later than May 15.
- Beginning May 23, unworked plots are considered abandoned and offered to the general public. No refunds will be issued.
- Keep weeds controlled! Do not let your plot get overgrown.
- Water ONLY inside your own plot. Prevent water running into nearby plots.
- Sprinklers and soaker hoses are prohibited. Use watering cans or bring a hose nozzle to conserve water.
- Do not shade neighboring plots.
- Clean the shared tools after use and return them to the shed. Never remove the shared tools from the premises.
- Keep the shed clean and organized.
- Replenish the paths with city-provided wood chips as needed.
- Any stored fencing not re-claimed by April 20 is considered abandoned and made available to active gardeners.
- Clear everything out of your plot(s) no later than 2:00 p.m. on the last Sunday in October. This includes plant stalks, leftover produce/flowers, fencing, stakes, poles, weeds, twine, etc. Burlap, fabric, or plastic sheeting must be completely removed. Leaving debris in your plot(s) will result in loss of your pre-registration privileges.
- Use ONLY organic gardening products and methods. Chemical herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers or soil amendments, including non-organic Miracle-Gro® products, are not allowed. Check your product at OMRI.org before using it if unsure.
- Use watering cans or bring a hose nozzle to conserve water. Sprinklers and soaker hoses are prohibited.
- Do not plant invasive or noxious plants of any kind.
- Never use tires or treated wood. They leach toxins into the soil.
- Place only plant material in the yard waste bin. Do not put trash, meat or any processed food into it - pack it all out.
- PACK OUT ALL TRASH, including unusable or unwanted fencing, frames & accessories. Do Not Use the Bishop's Storehouse dumpsters.
- Never harm or trap any rabbits, birds, or other wildlife in the garden. Use fencing, pinwheels, decoys, etc. to deter them instead.
- Be considerate, and practice safety in the garden.
- Do not use crude, vulgar, or offensive language.
- Tobacco in all forms is prohibited at all times.
- Alcohol and other intoxicants, including cannabis, are prohibited from the premises at all times.
- Cannabis cultivation is prohibited. No exceptions.
- Use earphones, not speakers.
- Do not let water run into neighboring plots.
- Do not shade neighboring plots.
- Harvest ONLY from your own plot(s).
- Prevent spreading plants or vines from invading other plots.
- Do not sell any crops or produce from the garden.
- DO SHARE your extra bounty freely with family, friends and neighbors!
- Donate extra food to the Kent Food Bank, to help others in our community. Thank you.