RENT A PLOT
2018 REGISTRATION STARTS WEDNESDAY, MARCH 7 at KENT COMMONS!
NEW PILOT PROGRAM for 2018: No deposit required!
2018 Program Orientation: All registered gardeners should plan to attend on Tuesday, March 27 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Kent City Hall Chambers. The address is 220 Fourth Ave. South in downtown Kent.
Register for a plot at Kent Commons:
- 525 Fourth Ave. North, Kent, WA 98032 (corner of 4th and James)
Welcome to the Kent Community Garden! Since 1997, our seasonal organic garden has been providing fresh food, flowers & crops, a sense of community, and the benefits of physical activity to many hundreds of people.
- ORGANIC GARDENING ONLY. Visit OMRI.org to check whether your product is OK to use.
- Season: April 1 through last Sunday in October, dawn to dusk
- Location: Corner of 64th Avenue South and West James Street in the Kent Valley.
- Plot Size: approximately 20' x 20' (400 square feet)
- Plot too large for you alone? Double up with a friend!
- Cost: $45 rental/water fee
- REGISTER IN PERSON at Kent Commons, 525 Fourth Ave. North in downtown Kent
- REGISTER BY PHONE at 253-856-5000
- Mid-season Registration Discounts on available plots:
- Save $5.00 on registration from June 10 through June 30.
- Save $10.00 on registration from July 1 through August 15.
- No registrations after August 15, 2018.
- Previous year gardeners in good standing can pre-register for the same plot until open registration starts.
- First come, first served once open registration begins.
- CHECK THE PLOT MAP (BELOW) BEFORE YOU REGISTER. Some plots have water spigots ON or IN their boundaries. They rent at full rate. Spigot locations shown on map are approximate.
- There is no garbage service. All garbage must be packed out.
- Produce and crops grown at the community garden may not be sold, but DO share freely with your family, friends, and neighbors. Extra produce can also be donated to the KENT FOOD BANK to help others in our community.
THE CITY'S ROLE
- Prepare the ground by rototilling the entire garden at least once before opening day, and once after closing day.
- Measure, stake boundaries and label each plot before opening day.
- Provide access to water, hoses, wood chips for paths, and a portable restroom.
- Replenish the supply of wood chips for paths upon request.
- Empty the rock bins or yard waste bin upon request.
- Bishop's Storehouse lot at 1412 West Morton Street during business hours: Tuesday 10a to 5p, Thursday 10a to 5p, Saturday 10a to 2p
- Along West Morton Street
- Kent Valley Ice Centre at 6015 South 240th Street (one block west of 64th Ave on West James)
- Curb strip on West James St. near garden entry gate (at your own risk)
- Any PUBLIC and LEGAL parking space
- BUS TRANSIT - King County Metro routes 158, 166 and 180
- Rodale's Organic Gardening Beginner Tips
- Rodale's Organic High Yield Veggie Tips
- Garden Hotline
- Sustainable Gardening Tips
- Master Gardeners Foundation
- Organic Gardening Tips
The Kent Community Garden is a collaborative effort between the city and the LDS Bishop’s Storehouse and Cannery, which owns the property. The volunteers of the Community Garden Leadership Group (CGLG) provide a hub for sharing information and gardening tips on site and online. We recognize and appreciate both the LDS and the CGLG for their commitment to this program – Thank you!