A 6-week civics course that will deepen the understanding and knowledge about local government and how it operates. The courses are designed to educate, inform and build experience for residents, businesses and students.
About Our Program
Kent 101 is a free program that offers emerging community leaders the opportunity to better understand how local government works through lectures and interactive activities and tours. The program will end with a graduation celebration and a certificate of completion at a Kent City Council meeting.
This program is perfect for high school students looking for career inspiration, college students who need more experience before joining the work force, working adults who want to have a stronger understanding about government work, or retirees looking to be more involved in their community. Starting February 5, 2020, classes take place every Wednesday from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at City Hall.
Meet local elected officials and City staff
Learn how the City functions, what services are offered, what the different departments are and how everything is connected
- Become an active member of the Kent community
- Gain first-hand knowledge of how ideas move through City Hall and become implemented
- Have a better understanding of the City you live in
- Meet other residents and share ideas
Kent 101 Objectives
- To actively involve and engage Kent residents and businesses to help them understand how City government works
- To improve communication with the City and those who live, work or go to school here
- To provide insight into how decisions are made, how City finances are managed and how City departments operate
- To empower more residents and businesses to become more engaged in City government and to become involved in making decisions that affect and improve Kent for all
How to Apply
- Kent 101 is free and open to people 16 and older.
- Must be a resident of the City of Kent, or have a business located in the City of Kent
- Miss no more than 1 class session to graduate
Complete and submit your application online by 5 p.m. on Sunday, January 5. Participants will be notified of their selection for the program by Wednesday, January 15, 2020. Apply online now.
|Kent 101 Week 1 Administration - Mayor's Office and Clerk's Office||02/05/2020 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Kent 101 Week 2 Police, Legal and Court||02/12/2020 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Kent 101 Week 3 Finance, IT and Human Resources||02/19/2020 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Kent 101 Week 4 Economic and Community Development||02/26/2020 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Kent 101 Week 5 Public Works - Engineering and Operations||03/04/2020 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Kent 101 Week 6 Parks, Recreation and Community Services||03/11/2020 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm|
|Kent 101 Reception and Graduation at Kent City Council||03/17/2020 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm|