How to reach us
Office of the City Attorney
Civil and Prosecution
220 4th Ave. S.
Kent, WA 98032
- Kent's Law Department is responsible for all litigation involving the City and prosecutes criminal misdemeanor cases, infractions and code violations.
- The Law Department advises and represents all city elected and appointed officials, employees, boards, committees, task forces, and commissions on all civil legal matters pertaining to the City of Kent.
- The Law Department does not represent people in private matters such as criminal defense, landlord/tenant issues, private property issues, recovery of loaned money, divorce issues, recovery of wages from an employer, child custody issues, etc. For matters such as these, the citizen would need to contact and consult with a private attorney.
- PO - Protection Order or EPO - Emergency Protection Order
- RO - Restraining Order or TRO - Temporary Restraining Order
- PAHO - Permanent Anti-Harassment Order or EAHO - Emergency Anti-Harassment Order
- Prosecutes all criminal violations of city ordinances constituting misdemeanors and gross misdemeanors;
- Defends the city on appeals of criminal misdemeanor matters;
- Prosecutes drug forfeiture cases;
- Advises police officers on probable cause and other issues; and
- Provides training and advice to Kent Police Officers.
Family Violence Unit
- Provides assistance to family violence victims;
- Assists prosecutors and police officers by reviewing police reports, interviewing witnesses, and appearing at court hearings to support victims of family violence;
- Provides individual victim education, prevention, safety planning and referral;
- Provides training to Kent Police Department personnel and other agencies; and
- Participates in community outreach, prevention, and training.