Katie Whaley, Coordinator
Rental Housing Inspection Program
Rental Housing Inspectors
Landlords are required to hire a qualified rental housing inspector from the City's approved list. A qualified rental housing inspector means a private inspector who has passed the RHIP inspection training course and possesses at least one of the following credentials:
- American Association of Code Enforcement Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector certification;
- International Code Council Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector certification;
- International Code Council Residential Building Code Inspector;
- Washington State licensed home inspector; or
- Another acceptable credential the director establishes by rule.
Inspections will be conducted at the landlord's expense. Inspectors shall not be existing employees of the landlord. Re-inspections required as a result of a failed inspection must utilize the same inspector as the original inspection.
Interested in becoming a qualified rental housing inspector for the City of Kent? Contact RHIP@KentWA.gov for information on our next training session.