At any step in the process, we are here to help.
Contact us to schedule a meeting—we will answer your questions and connect you with resources to succeed.
Ready to open a Restaurant?
Kent’s restaurants are almost as diverse as its residents. We savor flavors from all around the globe and seldom turn down a great apple pie. For aspiring restauranteurs or established chefs ready to expand, Kent’s appetite for new foods and flavors is always expanding.
But opening a restaurant isn’t easy. Here are some resources to help along the way.
Know what type of restaurant you want to run.
- A sit-down restaurant with a storefront?
- A coffee shop?
- A food truck?
- A catering service?
- A farmers market stall?
The Washington Small Business Guide can help.
Be smart when selecting a location. Different locations come with different opportunities, limitations and permitting requirements.
- How many people will be here at full capacity (occupancy)?
- What type of parking will I need?
- Will I need a sprinkler system and/or fire alarms?
- Do I want to be in a historic building?
- Will I offer outdoor seating?
- Will my restaurant serve alcohol?
You’ll need a City of Kent business license, but what other licenses do you need?
- Register your business with the State of Washington
- License your business with the State of Washington
- License your trade name(s)
- License your business in the City of Kent
- Apply for a Federal Identification Number
- Maybe you’ll also need one of these licenses:
Ready to remake your space and give it the right ambience to stand up to your food?
Before punching out any walls, you will want to secure the right permits. Here are a few you might need:
- Health Department Food Service Review
- Permanent Food Service Business Permit
- Land Use Permits
- Sprinklers and Fire Alarms
- Sign and Awning Permits
- Right-of-Way Permits
Success is close enough you can taste it!
As your grand opening date draws near, it’s time to hire your team and finish the final inspections.
- Hiring and Payroll
- Train Employees
- Final Inspections and Approvals