Reach us

City of Kent Permit Center

400 W. Gowe St. #114

Kent, WA 98032

(253) 856-5300


Permit Center Hours:


8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 


9:00 a.m. to -5:00 p.m.

Other Building-Related Agencies

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Even though a structure may be located in the City Limits of Kent, other agencies may have jurisdiction over the interior of the structure. This is the case with mobile or manufactured homes. One needs a building permit from the City of Kent's Building Services to install the structure on a site in Kent.

Department of Labor & Industries has jurisdiction on:

  1. Electrical permits and inspections in Kent,
  2. Contractor registration, and
  3. Mobile/Manufactured home alterations, including:
    • Heat pump/air conditioning installations
    • Wood/pellet/gas stove installations
    • Changing from electric to gas appliances
    • Electrical or plumbing changes
    • Structural changes or additions

The Department of Labor and Industries phone number in Tukwila is 206-835-1111.

By law, contractors are required to be registered by the State. To find out about a contractor's registration status, you may call 1-800-647-0982 or go to

The International Code Council (ICC) has an office in Bellevue which can provide code information, copies of the International Building, Residential and Mechanical Codes, as well as jobs available in the construction regulation profession. Their phone number is 425-451-9541 or 800-231-4776. ICC is responsible for creating and publishing the International Codes enforced in the City of Kent.

In addition to Kent Building Services review, the King County Health Department reviews plans for restaurants and commercial swimming pools. You may reach them at 206-296-4666.

Washington Association of Building Officials (WABO) is an organization comprised of Building Officials throughout the state of Washington. Registered Special Inspection agencies are listed at this web site. Their web site also contains links to jobs available. Code books are also available at WABO. The phone number is 360-586-6725.

The International Association of Plumbing & Mechanical Officials publishes the Uniform Plumbing Code. They can be reached at or 909-472-4100.

Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (formerly PSAPCA) is responsible for air pollution control and asbestos issues. Their phone number is 1-800-552-3565. For the asbestos line, call 1-800-552-3565, ext #4058. The Web site address is

Other useful information is provided by the Municipal Research and Services Center. Their web site address is