Residential Landlord-Tenant Issues

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Rights of All Tenants

  • Right to a livable dwelling
  • Protection from unlawful discrimination
  • Right to hold the landlord liable for damage caused by the landlord's negligence
  • Protection against lockouts and seizure of personal property by the landlord

File a complaint about building maintenance:

City of Kent Code Enforcement: (253) 856-5409 or

Help for Rental Housing Tenants

Housing Justice Project: A homelessness prevention program providing accessible, volunteer-based legal services for low-income tenants facing eviction in King County.

Northwest Justice Project: Washington's publicly funded legal aid program. 

Coordinated Legal Education Advice and Referral Service (CLEAR)

Information, advice & referral for low-income people and seniors
Dial "211" in King County
1-888-387-7111 for Seniors (age 60 and over)
Mondays-Fridays 9:15 AM-12:15 PM

Your Rights as a Tenant in Washington

Washington Law Help has self-help packets for tenants

Solid Ground : Tenant Counseling & Education

Tenant Services Line : (206) 694-6767
10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday and Thursday, 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Wednesday

HUD's Renter's Kit includes information about your rights and responsibilities, tools to help you figure out how much you can afford, renter's insurance, and tips for apartment hunting. 

Help for Rental Housing Landlords

Rental Housing Association of Washington

RHAWA provides advocacy and education services for roughly 5,000 rental housing owners--ranging from single family homes to multifamily communities. They also provide information for tenants. Based in Seattle, they can be reached toll-free at 1-800-335-2990.

Washington Landlord Association is a comprehensive pool of knowledge regarding landlord issues - statewide. 

Senior Housing Issues:

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Housing Discrimination:

Washington State Human Rights Commission

  (206) 464-6500
  Toll-free: 1-800-233-3247

Information about Small Claims Court:

To recover money for an amount up to $5,000.

Other Resources:

The Tenants Union of Washington State

 (206) 723-0500

Catholic Community Services, Legal Action Center

(206) 324-6890



Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer