Reach the Lodging Tax Advisory Committee
|Seeking qualified applicants for vacant positions on committee. Apply now!|
Role of the Lodging Tax Advisory Committee
State law requires that cities with a Lodging Tax Fund establish an advisory committee. The role of the Lodging Tax Advisory Committee is to review grant applications for funding, and make recommendations to the Kent City Council about how the revenue from the lodging tax is spent.
The Lodging Tax Fund is created through a state sales tax on overnight stays at hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, or campgrounds.
The program is designed to fund the marketing, operation and promotion of activities, events or projects that promote Kent as a business or leisure destination, such as:
- Advertising, publicizing, or distributing information to attract and welcome business and/or leisure travelers
- Developing strategies to expand business/leisure travel or promotion
- Operations and capital expenditures of tourism-related facilities owned or operated by a municipality or public facilities district. Non-profits are ineligible to receive funds for capital projects.
- Funding the marketing of, or the operation of special projects, events, or conferences designed to attract business/leisure travelers.
- The committee meets twice a year to evaluate grant funding applications - in October and May.
- Get meeting agendas and minutes using our online meeting calendar.
Advisory Committee Members
|Member||Organization||Term Length||Term Expires|
|Councilmember Bill Boyce, Chair||City of Kent||1 year||12/31/19|
|John Casey||Kent Chamber/Kent Downtown Partnership||3 years||10/1/22|
|Tim Higgins||accesso ShoWare Center||3 years||10/1/22|
|Andrew Hutchison||Best Western, Plaza by the Green||3 years||12/31/21|
|David Kwok|| Hampton Inn by Hilton
| Bryan Powell
||Ramada by Wyndham||3 years||10/1/22|
| Gaila Gutierrez
||Kent Downtown Partnership||3 years||12/31/21|
| Mohamed Abouelrous
||Hawthorne Suites by Wyndham||3 years||12/31/21
|Vacant||Apply to Serve on the Lodging Tax Advisory Committee|
Members are appointed by the City Council and serve three year terms; the committee must include the following:
- Four member representatives of businesses that are required to collect the tax
- Four members to represent activities authorized to be funded by the tax
- One Kent City Councilmember who serves as chair of the committee
- Apply to Serve on the Lodging Tax Advisory Committee
Who is Eligible to Apply for Lodging Tax Grants?
Nonprofit industry associations and organizations, convention and visitors’ bureaus, public facilities districts, destination marketing organizations, chambers of commerce and municipalities are eligible to apply.