Contact Dana Neuts, Communications Consultant
253-856-5714 - Desk
253-737-0641 - Mobile
Kent Police Department OIS Investigation
PIO CONTACT – Asst. Chief Bob Bohl
June 29, 2017 - As part of the Valley Investigative Team, the Des Moines Police Department has been diligently investigating the officer involved shooting incident which occurred on Saturday, June 24th, 2017 at about 0015 hrs. Investigators have been looking at evidence, interviewing witnesses as well as obtaining statements from the involved officers. In addition, during the initial neighborhood canvas investigators obtained video from a private residence capturing the event.
The Des Moines Police Department has determined the following facts thus far in the investigation:
• A Kent Officer attempted a traffic stop in the 25400 Block of 104th Ave SE and the driver failed to stop for the officer.
• A felony eluding pursuit began and another Kent Officer joined in the pursuit.
• A pursuit intervention technique (PIT) was attempted to end the pursuit but was unsuccessful.
• The suspect vehicle entered a residential cul-de-sac at 99th & 244th.
• A Kent Officer used pursuit intervention technique (PIT) again spinning and stopping the vehicle.
• One Kent Officer exited out of his patrol car giving commands to the occupants of the vehicle.
• From the video obtained, the suspect vehicle is seen backing up then accelerating forward where the suspect vehicle collided with a patrol vehicle.
• The suspect driver continued between the two patrol vehicles where the officer was standing.
• The officer used deadly force discharging his firearm at the vehicle in the attempt to stop the threat.
• From the video, the suspect vehicle was seen exiting the cul-de-sac at a high rate of speed.
• The suspect vehicle failed to negotiate a curve striking a curb and coming to a stop in Canterbury Park.
• Officers summoned aid and immediately began administering first aid but the suspect driver died at the scene.
• Giovonn Joseph-McDade was identified as the driver of the vehicle when the deadly force was used.
• There were two (2) shots fired at the vehicle, both striking Giovonn Joseph-McDade.
• Devonte Cheeks was the passenger of the vehicle and was not injured during this incident. Mr. Cheeks was taken into custody for outstanding warrants unrelated to this incident.
• Mr. Cheeks has provided a statement to assist in this investigation.
• There were two Kent Police Officers who were directly involved with this incident, but only one officer discharged his weapon.
• Both involved officers are still on paid administrative leave per standard protocol and are cooperating with this investigation.
• The officer who discharged his weapon is 42 years old, has been with the Kent Police Department for 5 years & 8 months. He also has 10 years with an out of state agency. Currently assigned as an FTO in the Patrol Division
• The other involved officer is 26 years old, been with the Kent Police Department for 2 years & 5 months and assigned to the Patrol Division.
• Recovered from Giovonn Joseph-McDade’s wallet was 4.9 grams of suspected Methamphetamine. This field test positive and will be confirmed by the Washington State Crime Lab.
• Investigators executed a search warrant on the suspect vehicle and recovered 69.2 grams of marijuana and a suspicious liquid which will be sent to the Washington State Crime Lab for analysis.