Community Garden Information
RENT A PLOT
Welcome to the Kent Community Garden! Our seasonal organic garden has been thriving since 1997, providing fresh food, flowers & crops, a sense of community, and the benefits of physical activity to thousands of people.
- ORGANIC GARDENING ONLY. www.omri.org to check whether your product is OK to use.
- Season: April 1 through October 30, dawn to dusk
- Location: Corner of 64th Avenue South and West James Street in the Kent Valley.
- Plot Size: approximately 20' x 20'
- Cost: $45 rental/water fee + $25 refundable "good gardener" deposit
- REGISTER IN PERSON at Kent Commons, 525 Fourth Ave. North in downtown Kent
- REGISTER BY PHONE at 253-856-5000
- Mid-season Registration Discounts on available plots:
- Save $5.00 on registration from June 5 through June 30.
- Save $10.00 on registration from July 1 through August 11.
- No registrations after August 11, 2017.
- Previous year "good gardeners" can pre-register for the same plot until open registration starts.
- First come, first served once open registration begins.
- CHECK THE PLOT MAP (BELOW) BEFORE YOU REGISTER. Some plots have water spigots ON or IN their boundaries. They rent at full rate, no discounts. Spigot locations shown on map are approximate.
- There is no garbage service. All garbage must be packed out.
- Produce and crops grown at the community garden may not be sold, but DO share freely with your family, friends, and neighbors. Extra produce can also be donated to the KENT FOOD BANK to help others in our community.
THE CITY'S ROLE
- Prepare the ground for planting by rototilling the entire garden at least once before opening day. We also rototill after closing day to refresh the soil.
- Stake, line and label each plot before opening day.
- Provide access to water, hoses, wood chips for paths and a portable restroom.
- Replenish the supply of wood chips upon request.
- Empty the rock bins or compost bin upon request.
- Bishop's Storehouse lot at 1412 West Morton Street during business hours: Tuesday 10a to 5p, Thursday 10a to 5p, Saturday 10a to 2p
- Along West Morton Street
- Kent Valley Ice Centre at 6015 South 240th Street (one block west of 64th Ave on West James)
- Curb strip on West James St. near garden entry gate (at your own risk)
- Any PUBLIC and LEGAL parking space
The Kent Community Garden is a collaborative effort between the city and the LDS Bishop’s Storehouse and Cannery, which owns the property. The volunteers of the Community Garden Leadership Group (CGLG) provide a hub for sharing information and gardening tips on site and online. We recognize and appreciate both the LDS and the CGLG for their commitment to this program – Thank you!