How to reach us:
400 W. Gowe St., Suite 406
Kent, WA 98032
Identify Top and High Priority Target Issues (February-April)
- The City Council, Mayor and Administration usually meet in February or March of each year to review legal mandates and current operating and capital issues.
- They update the strategic plan for the next year's budget as appropriate.
- The Mayor’s Leadership Team responds to the Council Strategic Goals for the prior year in the development of the current year budget.
Review Financial Forecast and Update Budget Process (April-May)
- Estimated actual revenue and expenditures are projected.
- The cost of providing the same level of service as the prior year is calculated and is then forecast and matched against projected future revenue.
- The resulting surplus identifies whether the upcoming budget process will be a status quo, program expansion or a budget cut process.
Capital Improvement Plan Review (June-August)
- Previously adopted CIP plans are reviewed during this time, with updated Council priorities and available revenue.
Public Hearings (September, November)
- Council holds open public hearings to receive public input for the next year's budget and Capital plans.
Balance Operating & Capital Budgets (August-September)
- A detailed analysis of baseline budgets as well as detailed review of program expansion or cuts needed to bring the budget into balance is completed.
- Financial forecasts are updated by the Finance Department and the final proposed budget is recommended by the Mayor.
- The Finance Department makes sure that the final funding recommendations for operating and capital budgets are balanced to the estimated revenues.
Preliminary Budget Available (October - November)
- The Finance Department prepares the preliminary budget document balancing final revenue forecasts with expenditures.
- The preliminary printed budget is available on approximately November 1 of each year at the City Clerk's office, the Finance Department and the Library.
Budget Adoption (November-December)
- The Mayor's proposed budget is transmitted to the Council.
- Council reviews the Mayor's proposed budget, holds public hearings and recommends any final adjustments they may deem necessary.
- The final balanced budget is adopted by City Council in November or December for the next year.
Budget Adjustment Ordinance (December-March)
- The Finance Department summarizes all capital and operating budget adjustments Council has approved during the current year plus any additional adjustments into budget adjustment ordinances.
- All adjustments are adopted by Council as required by State law.