Planning FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • How do I find out what the zoning is on my property ?

    You can find your property on the City's Zoning Districts Map. All private property in the City is zoned, and the restrictions on development vary from one zone to another. If you need assistance or would like to confirm the zoning, please give us a call at 253.856.5302 and we will be happy to assist you. When you call, please be able to identify the property by a specific address, parcel number or nearby intersection.

  • How can I find information about my property such as my parcel number?

    Visit the King County Property Research web page. It allows you to view your property tax information, see an outline map of your property, and will provide you with general parcel information. (INFORMATION OBTAINED SHOULD BE USED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND CAN BE VERIFIED THROUGH THE CITY OF KENT PLANNING SERVICES DIVISION.)

  • I’m not sure exactly where my property lines are located. How do I determine this?

    In order to determine the precise location of your property lines, the services of a licensed professional land surveyor are required. Several surveyors are located in Kent who are available for hire.

    To get a more general idea of where your property lines are located, begin by obtaining a copy of the map of your subdivision or the King County Assessor’s map of your property. These maps are available in the Kent Permit Center, located at 400 W Gowe in downtown Kent. County assessor’s maps are available on-line.  To search for your property, you will need the county parcel number, which can be found by entering your property address at the county’s parcel viewer page.   Using these maps, try to locate your property pins – stakes or iron rods inserted into the ground at each corner of your property (you may need to use a metal detector to find them). Stringing a line between those pins will give you a fairly accurate idea of where your property lines are located. 

    This information may be useful in addressing disputes regarding responsibility for trees, fences or retaining walls along or near property lines.

  • What is SEPA?

    SEPA stands for the State Environmental Policy Act. This act was adopted by the state in 1971 and requires cities like Kent to evaluate the environmental impacts of proposed development. Certain minor developments such as new single family residences are normally exempt from SEPA, while major development proposals such as new warehouses must undergo an environmental analysis and comply with procedural requirements of SEPA. 

    The process begins with an environmental checklist which is submitted with a development permit application. The checklist is an evaluation of the proposal's environmental impacts to wildlife, soils, land use, transportation, housing, and other environmental factors. Based on the extent of these impacts, a decision is made to either prepare an environmental impact statement (EIS) or issue a determination of nonsignificance (DNS). If measures are required to mitigate the impacts, an MDNS is issued. Local codes require the environmental determination to be posted on the site prior to the issuance of the development plan. 

    The public may make comments on SEPA determinations within 14 days following the posting of the notice. In addition, SEPA determinations may be appealed within 10 days following the end of the comment period.   

    For more information on SEPA and the City's procedures regarding environmental evaluations, please call Planning Services at 253-856-5454.