2017 National Public Works Week Event
Showcasing the services and people that bring our City to life
- Date: 05/25/2017 10:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Location: ShoWare Center
625 W James St.
Kent, Washington 98032
- Introduction: Free, Fun & Interactive event focusing on educating & energizing the public about how Public Works Departments work to improve our quality of life.
The City of Kent will celebrate National Public Works Week at a free and open-to-the-public event on Thursday, May 25, from 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. at ShoWare Center. This annual, and national event, is a celebration of the tens of thousands of dedicated people in North America who provide and maintain the infrastructure and services, (collectively known as public works) that we all use every day.
The focus of the event is to educate and energize the public about the contributions Public Works Departments and their employees make to the quality of life in our communities, from cleaning and greening our neighborhoods, maintaining our river levees, to paving our roads and building sidewalks, keeping our water and sewer systems working, to designing and managing building projects and training our residents for jobs in the trades. The event will feature climb-on displays of public works equipment and other interactive and informational displays.
Some of the displays that were at last year’s event are:
• How fire hydrants work
• Water mains - where your water comes from, and of course, where it goes after it goes in the drain
• Where your poop goes and why it’s important that we don’t put other things in the toilet
• Why we should pick up (scoop the poop) after our pets…it’s not just to keep others from stepping in it.
• A Vactor truck demo…and how this piece of equipment (“$500K vacuum cleaner”) helps prevent flooding in our community
• Anatomy of a pot hole – What causes them and what it takes to fix them
• How drainage ponds work, and why they’re important
• The importance of native plants in retention ponds
Please call Public Works Operations at 253-856-5600 with any event questions and we hope to see you there!